Saturday, October 17, 2009

weather or not

The Farmers' Almanac is calling for "bitterly cold and dry" weather this winter for our area of Canada. Bunch of gloomy, pessimistic, kill-joys. I'm still sticking to my guns and saying that we're going to get an awesome Indian Summer. My prediction is already coming true, actually. It was sunny and warm-ish today, and is supposed to be nice again tomorrow. Two days of nice weather may not qualify as Indian Summer, but it's a start. I'm also predicting a balmy winter, with just enough cold to make ice for the skaters, and just enough snow to keep the plow operators from slipping into bankruptcy. Farmers' Almanac says they base their predictions on a "carefully guarded formula" using sunspots and moon phases. I'm basing mine on a skillful blend of wishful thinking and optimism. We'll see who is right.

The weather is fun to write about, especially for chronic complainers like me. This year it has been especially accomodating . . . snow in late May, rain for most of June, miserable fall weather in July, and pre-winter temperatures during August. To top off a wacky season, it warmed up in September and we went water skiing. I should count my blessings though. At least I didn't have to worry about rocks falling from the sky.

In spite of my complaints about the weather, things could definitely be worse. The Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez lives in a tropical paradise, but was recently denied permission by her government to travel New York to receive a journalism award. Here is the story. If I had to choose between frigid freedom and sweltering slavery, I would take the freedom. Living under a repressive government that tries to muzzle you is paradoxically good publicity though. Yoanni's blog, Generation Y, gets a million hits a month. I'd love to get a million hits a month . . . but given the choice I still think I'd choose frigid freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog