Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Training

When I was a child, I was instructed not to say a certain four-letter word that started with "s." I still don't know why one word is bad, and another is good - even though they both mean the same thing - but such is the enigma of language and culture.

When I saw the weather forecast for tomorrow, a four-letter "s" word slipped out of my mouth, in spite of my childhood training.





"Snow?!"






I did sort of prophesy that it would snow this weekend, but I was just kidding. I talked about the dread September snow as well, but I thought the weather gremlins could take a joke. I guess not . . . or at least we'll find out tomorrow.

The good news is that the forecast for the weekend is sunny and warmish, so the Red Lake firefighters that gave up their fishing and boating last weekend (to be harassed by a group of heartless instructors) will get another chance.

Speaking of Red Lake firefighters, I managed to sneak a couple shots of a roof ventilation evolution.






I wasn't able to get any shots of the really fun stuff, but I have some from the June Red Lake course that I can post later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight I watched a tribute to firefighters produced by Fireman's Fund Insurance Company. It's a strange profession that we're involved in . . . and even stranger that groups of people across North America (like the Red Lakers) volunteer to do it. Most of them appear to be normal people, and none think of themselves as heroes. The documentary was moving, and gives a glimpse into the many sides of firefighting. You can read more about it here, and see a clip on Youtube here.

On second thought, anyone that gives up a weekend of incredible fishing in unbelievable weather - just to be pushed and shoved and tied up and roasted so they can be trained to help their neighbours - seems a lot like a hero to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog