Thursday, May 6, 2010

bizarre

The good thing about snow in May is that it really puts a damper on wildland fires.

The bad thing about snow in May is that everyone moans about the bizarre weather, even though it has snowed every May since the first stone-age Neanderthal arrived 5,000,000 years ago. Okay, so my stone-age history is a bit shaky, but still, it has snowed in May, every May, for a very long time. So buck up Upsalanians, it's allowed to snow right up to the summer solstice if it wants to. Even if the winter snow melts completely in March, and the lakes open up in the first week of April. Now that's bizarre.

Having said that, we're supposed to get another stretch of warm, dry weather starting Saturday. Before you know it, we'll be complaining in bizarre human fashion about the dry weather, and if it doesn't rain Upsala will be a pile of ashes before the middle of July, and oh, how I wish it would snow again . . . okay, we're not that bizarre.

Speaking of bizarre things, I had couscous and buckwheat turkey stir fry for breakfast this morning. Yes, I was bored. No, I'm not offering a recipe (even though it was surprisingly quite good). If you're reading my blog, you're probably a little off-the-wall, but I don't want to push my luck too far.

In my defense, there are plenty of other places that have bizarre people who do bizarre things. Take this guy in White River. Most people would say that throwing a vacuum cleaner through your front door is a little bit nutty . . . unless an even nuttier guy is trying to chop that door down with an axe. It must be something about the good, fresh, northern air.

(BTW, if you've never heard of White River, shame on you. It's the birth place of Winnie the Pooh, for crying out loud.)

On a less bizarre note, the Fire Within has a Facebook page now, with a membership that grows daily. I overcame my intense fear of bandwagons, and boarded this one without hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog