Thursday, May 5, 2011

the battle

If I could have one wish, I would wish to spend my career networking with the extraordinary folks in the fire service, and still spend weekends and evenings at home with my family.

Don't say it. I know. That's two wishes . . . two conflicting wishes that will grip each others throats in constant warfare until I can figure out a way to make peace between them. I'm going home tomorrow, and the family wish will win for about 18 hours. Then I'm off to Fort Frances to teach the Trainer Facilitator course with Frank the killer whale. It will be a lot of fun, and I will again rub shoulders with the finest people on earth . . . but my family will spend the weekend without me. Again. 

I'm not whining. Honest. At least I shouldn't be. It was an honour to network with the small army of people I connected with this week in Toronto. Some were old friends like Andrew and Cyndy. Some were previous acquaintances that I got to know a little better, like Doug Tennant (Doug, if you're out there in Facebookland, let me know. I'd like to stay in touch).

Then there are those that I've known only as names, or email addresses, or voices on the phone. They were good connections, and good people, and the Internet is a wonderful networking tool . . . but there is no substitute for meeting someone face to face. Vince and Laura are among this crowd. When we meet at FireCon, it will be as old friends now, not cyber connections (that was a hint, by the way).

Wow. The election campaign ends, I bury my inner cynic, and suddenly I reincarnate as a sappy, feel-good, warm and fuzzy milk-toast guy. If you liked the old sarcastic and satirish Tim, never fear. I sense a provincial election campaign brewing, and I fear that my inner cynic may resurrect himself.

It's past 1:00 AM, and I should be sleeping instead of blogging, but allow me to leave you with a couple links:

Paul Combs newest cartoon. I'm not one to dance on anyone's grave, even that of a despicable terrorist that thought nothing of murdering indiscriminately, but I do empathize with the families of the 343 responders that died nearly 10 years ago. And I admire Paul Combs immensely.

The Canadian Fallen Firefighters Association Facebook page. Chad Sartison from Firefighters1st sits on the board, on top of his already busy schedule. He's a man of passion, and I've never heard him whine about being away from his family.

I need to take a lesson from Chad. But I do miss my family. The battle rages on . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog