Sunday, March 13, 2011

fixers

Some people see a big mess and say, "Wow, what a big mess." Firefighters see the same thing, but they say, "I can fix that." At least that's what we want to say. Firefighters are fixers.

Here's the problem though. Some messes are just too big. They are unfixable. We can't raise the dead, or recreate destroyed property. Sometimes all we can do is pick up the pieces and move on.

I can hardly bear to look at the destruction in Japan, because I know there is nothing I can do to fix it. Sure I'll send some money, and encouraging words to friends in the middle of the chaos, but I'm not kidding myself about being able to fix anything. One thing for sure though, the Japanese fire service is among those that are front and centre, and doing what they can to help. And probably putting themselves in harm's way to do it.

The news is full of images and video coverage, perhaps more than any other disaster in history, so there is no need to include more here, but I will give you a link to Chad Sartison's Firefighters 1st Facebook page. Sometimes a picture says it all.

Here's hoping and praying that the folks in Japan will be able to pick up the pieces and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog