Tuesday, July 6, 2010

furiously extreme

It's here. My July column for Fire and EMS Quarterly, that is. You may remember me mentioning in my March 1 post that I was going to write furiously about legal sharks (disguised as Mad Hatter lawyers) eating firefighters for lunch. Or maybe you don't remember. Either way, the March 1 post was the beginning of the July column.

If it doesn't look like furious writing, it's because the deadline for the column wasn't until April 28, so I had time to water down the pointless insults and useless ravings that I intended to hurl at our gigantically ridiculous legal system. Insults and ravings are marginally acceptable on an unedited blog from the edge of the universe, but they wouldn't go over well in a nationally read magazine. Fire and EMS Quarterly editor Laura King already puts up with a lot of wacky stuff from me, and I don't want to push my luck.

Successful writers are often extreme people, so it doesn't bother me that I have extreme tendencies. However, unsuccessful writers are also often extreme people. Finding the right kind of extreme is the million dollar dilemma. Luckily, I get another chance, and I have some extreme ideas for my September column . . . which isn't due until August 17.

Just enough time to water down my crazy notions into something that people might actually want to read. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog