Monday, April 12, 2010

various and sundries

For all of you non-outer space buffs, today is the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission that was hailed as the most successful failure of all time (if you are a space buff you already knew that). I remember the moon landing a year or so earlier, but for some reason this crisis didn't make an impression. It might have had to do with being eight years old and completely wrapped up in the Brady Bunch and Jackie Gleason. I did watch the Apollo 13 movie a few years ago. Those guys (the astronauts not the actors) had nerves of steel. You can read the Apollo 13 story here.

I didn't previously know that Canadians played a part in the rescue operation. You can read about that story here.


I remade a chicken curry dish that first appeared in my March 21 post.

If it looks different than you expected, it's because I added broccoli and mushrooms AND I used water instead of milk for the sauce (I didn't read my own recipe). I also added a bit of soya sauce. My amateur-cookish opinion: the broccoli and mushrooms were good, the water instead of milk was bad, and forget the soya sauce. It still would have been better with asparagus, but it wasn't worth $3.50/pound (hence the broccoli).

If you are a regular reader, you know that alcohol doesn't like me. Dean Gunnarson (who is a modern day Houdini) doesn't drink much either, but that didn't stop him from doing a stunt in a keg of beer in Winnipeg last Saturday. Winnipeg, as you may remember, is near the longitudinal centre of Canada. There's got to be some symbolism there . . . let's see . . . positive energy generated by the balance of equal amounts of free Canadian territory to the east and west breaks the bands of addiction and liberates the soul . . . oh, never mind.

An early spring is turning into an early dry spring. No fires yet. Since I don't believe in knocking on wood . . . um . . . keep your fingers crossed, or rub a rabbit's foot, or meditate on the longitudinal centre of Canada, or . . . whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog