Tuesday, August 4, 2009

blues

Sigh. It's back to work. After all that complaining about a trip to Missouri not being a holiday, I'm sorry it's over. It's hard to follow a week of new friendships, sports, and roller coaster emotions, with paperwork, maintenance, repairs, and renovations . . . which is 99% of what I do at work these days. I don't have a warped personality like some firefighters that sit around wishing someone would have an emergency so they can get their adrenalin fix . . . but a good fire would be a great way to shake off the blues . . . nah, I don't want the neighbour's house to catch fire . . . however I am down in the dumps and don't feel well . . . maybe someone could just drive off the road without getting hurt - we'd get called and I'd get my fix . . . but then someone's car would get wrecked. As you can see, the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome has come back to haunt me.

The youth camp was great, and I am glad I was able to go. Between soccer, frisbee, meetings, challenges, raids, movies, and a canoe trip, they kept us hopping 14-16 hrs a day (and I was "senior staff" so didn't even do all the activities). Maybe that's why I've had a continual headache for the past couple days . . . something to do with exhaustion and sleep deprivation.

Seriously, I think I need to study up on adrenalin poisoning, except that I'm not sure there is such a thing. After a long, high-stress call I often have weird withdrawal-like symptoms that include headaches, dizziness, and a general feeling of ickiness (that may not be a real word, but it does convey how I feel and it is my blog, so back off all you spelling Gestapo). This is the first time I've ever experienced this after a "vacation," but there are some parallels: long hours, high activity, extreme emotions, and lots of adrenalin. All of these are things that go hand-in-hand with emergency response. Hmmm, maybe I should have been a doctor or a therapist instead of a firefighter and wanna-be writer.

On a less introverted, more altruistic note, I did find more sites that cover the DJ Harper story, click here and here for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Go for it! It's lonely out here in bloggerland . . .

Search This Blog